Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Little Helpers


 



During a recent trip to Marshall's the girls spotted these cute little broom and dustpan sets.  The bright colors and miniature design just sucked them in, and the "oh please, mommy" sucked me in.  I love these little sets more than I expected.

I borrow a lot from Charlotte Mason in my homeschooling and child rearing.  I read once in a book of hers that a child should be able to run the house around the age of twelve.  Although we haven't achieved that goal, I am still working towards it.  Also, since I am dealing with chronic back pain, I try to get the kids (who are closer to the floor) to do things that otherwise would have me bending over.

The girls are always working with something that ends up under foot, whether it is perler beads or cutting paper or sharpening pencils, they are always getting messes on the floor.  Add that to the dirt tracked in from the big kid, the fur from the dog and general kitchen messiness, my floor is always in need of a sweeping.  Only now, my daughters are excited to do it.  I wouldn't have thought that a 6 year old would be so excited to model mommy's housecleaning!  I encourage you to do more than giving your four year old the washcloths to fold.  Set the bar a little higher and see if your kids can jump to it!

To learn more about us go to my Bio Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment