Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lesson Plans for Literature.....part 1

Oh someone please write my literature curriculum for me for this year!! I know My Father's World, Abeka, Bob Jones and all kinds of other boxed curricula are available for Freshman year English. I'm just not interested. I have a wonderfully thoughtful child. I want that thoughtful child to read whole books, not just excerpts. And I want to have discussions about them, not just have him answer some questions about who did what to whom and when.

So far, we have just selected classics and read them together, discussing as we go along. I know, very Charlotte Mason, right? But I realize that he's going to need a high school transcript at some point, and I should put some effort into making sure that what he's studying is somewhat well rounded. But I don't want to do any more than 9 books a school year. And he's still not done with The Hunger Games, which I anticipate he might finish this summer.

So far, my list (all on my nook) is:
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
Moby Dick - Hermann Melville
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin
Tales of Space and Time - H.G. Wells
The Call of the Canyon - Zane Grey
The Dragon and the Raven - G.A. Henty
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
The Odyssey - Homer
The Prince - Niccolo Machiavelli
The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orzcy
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

I know we can read these over the course of the next four years, but also know I will be adding to this list as I go. It is probably silly of me to think that I will review all of Algebra, complete the entire Literature Curriculum, read the entire Biology book and all the other topics he has to study in the course of this summer. But I feel my thoughts on the subjects aren't complete if I just do part of my lesson plans and not all of it before we start back to school. In SIX WEEKS!

To learn more about us visit my bio page.

No comments:

Post a Comment